Monday 31 May 2010

Young prop blossoming at Crusaders

EMERGING Welsh prospect Ben Flower is keen to make the most of the first team opportunities presented to him by Brian Noble, and is relishing the competition for places at the Crusaders this season.
“Everyone is fighting for a position in the team every week but I’ve taken my chances, I think I have done alright and I want to stay in the team for the rest of the year,” said Flower, who captained his country for the Gillette Fusion International against England last Autumn
“For me, my aims for the season are just to get out there and play, enjoy it and make the most of it when I am out on there on the field.”
Flower, 22, began his Crusaders career with the club’s Colts side before making his first team debut in 2008, and making 17 Super League appearances last season.
“I’m very grateful for the chances I’ve had and it is just nice to get on the field and play. I am enjoying it here and gaining a lot from playing Super League on a regular basis.”
And the Cardiff-born Welsh Rugby Union under-20s International is delighted with the progress the club has made over the last 12 months.
“Obviously, coming from last season it has been a massive improvement. We’ve now got a top class coaching team in place with Brian Noble, Iestyn Harris and Jon Sharp and we have recruited well.”
“We’ve just got to keep improving and work on getting into the top 8,” he continued.
“Last year we struggled with injuries so I had a lot of opportunities in the first team but this year the squad is a lot stronger.”
Meanwhile, Luke Dyer was set to take Gareth Raynor’s place on the wing for Saturday’s match against Wigan, while fellow wing-man Nick Youngquest also returned to the squad.

No comments:

Post a Comment