Monday 31 May 2010

Walters to step down

KEVIN Walters will step down as Catalans Dragons head coach at the end of the season, it was announced last week.
Walters succeeded Mick Potter at the helm of the Perpignan-based club at the start of 2009, and led the club to the Super League play-off final eliminator, after finishing 8th during the regular season.
The Dragons have failed to build on that excellent end-of-season run this year however, and find themselves at the foot of Super League with just two wins to their name.
“I wish to inform the board of the Catalans Dragons that I will not be taking up the option in my contract to coach the Dragons in 2011,” said Walters.
“The Dragons are a great club with good people involved. My family and I have enjoyed our time here in Perpignan and I look forward to finishing off the season 2010 with some good results.”
With their play-off prospects seemingly in tatters, the club’s run in the Challenge Cup which, following Sunday’s victory at Batley has seen them reach the last four, has shone some light on an otherwise bleak campaign.
“Similarly to 2009, I know that with plenty of hard work and a little bit of luck, we can compete well in both the Carnegie Challenge Cup and the engage Super League,” he added.
The Catalans appointment was Walters’ first as a head coach, following a spell with Queensland Cup outfit Ipswich Jets, and a decorated career as a player in the NRL.
"I understand Kevin’s decision but I’m very disappointed for him,” added Catalans chairman Bernard Guash.
“He’s a great man who has worked hard and has been really unlucky this season. I hope he will get better results with the team during this second part of 2010 campaign.
“He deserves a good ending and I hope he will find a new club for a new start in his professional life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment