Sunday 23 May 2010

Alker ponders coaching role

SALFORD City Reds hooker Malcolm Alker has revealed that he has the option of taking up the position of assistant coach next season, at the club he’s served so well as a player.

But the 31-year-old, who previously passed on the opportunity to play in the NRL to stay with his beloved Reds, believes he still has a lot to offer on the pitch.

“The opportunity is there for me to be Shaun’s assistant next year,” said Alker.

“But I don’t know whether I’ve still got a bit too much fire in my belly for me to retire and go down that route yet.

“I’ve still got to make that decision and I’m going to take my time over it, but my main commitment at the moment is playing. It’s my priority and what I get paid to do.”

Alker has been capped for England and has represented Lancashire during his time with Salford but is hesitant to retire too early and miss out on any further accolades.

“I don’t want to come out of playing the game too early and end up regretting it, I think I’ve still got a lot to offer to the game and the determination to kick on.”

Alker made his Willows debut in 1995 and, 15 years later, is on the cusp of making his 350th appearance for the club.

“It’s been a long career for me, I’ve really enjoyed it and it’ll be great to reach that milestone.”

“We’ve had a lot of ups and downs at Salford but you’ve got to take the rough with the smooth,” he continued, before emphasising how crucial moving to a new stadium is to the club's future.

“I was going over the Barton bridge a couple of days ago and it looks to be underway.

“We’re under no illusions, we need the stadium to progress and to compete with the big boys.

“We’re aware that the club and community need a focal point and the stadium will hopefully provide that."

No comments:

Post a Comment