Monday 31 May 2010

Pryce sends a message

KARL Pryce, who has been on the fringes of first team selection for some time at Wigan, staked a claim for a regular starting berth with four tries during his side’s 46-26 win at Crusaders on Saturday.
The 23-year-old made his Wigan debut last season, following a spell in Rugby Union with Gloucester, but has seen his career riddled with injury.
"I've been injury free for the last 18 months but last year I wasn't really getting a shot, so I’m happy to be back playing,” said Pryce, who made his Super League debut in 2003 while at Bradford.
"This year I've had to dig in as the players have been playing well and I've had to bide my time to get a go.
"Madge (Wigan coach Michael Maguire) told me I had to keep playing well in the under-20s and keep training well, and if I did that I'd get my chance eventually.”
Meanwhile, centre Martin Gleeson returned to the Wigan squad for Saturday’s game after serving a club-imposed one-match ban for an undisclosed disciplinary matter.
"It's a clean slate,” said Wigan coach Michael Maguire.
"He went back and played a good game with the under-20s. Everything has been sorted out this week"
Ben Davies made his Wigan debut at the Racecourse Ground, while Stefan Marsh, who was promoted to the first team squad in Gleeson’s absense, dropped out of the 17.
Wigan were still without Lee Mossop, who is recovering from a dislocated shoulder. His recovery is ahead of schedule however, and he’s expected to return to action next month.
Long term absentees Amos Roberts (leg) and Cameron Phelps (groin) are making steady progress and have an outside of chance of returning in time for Saturday’s Challenge Cup quarter final tie against Leeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment