Thursday 24 June 2010

Wildcats and Dragons ready to negotiate

IF John Kear is to become the coach of Catalans Dragons in 2011, the French club must first negotiate a transfer fee with Wakefield, ‘League Express’ understands.
Kear still has another season to run on his contract with the Wildcats, and any potential move hinges on whether or not the two clubs can come to a financial agreement.
We revealed last week that talks had taken place between Kear and Catalans director Christophe Jouffret, and the former Hull and Sheffield Eagles boss was quoted last week as saying he was “flattered” by the link, while emphasising that he’s still contracted to Wakefield.
The Dragons have drawn up a shortlist of 12 candidates for the post, which will be vacated by incumbent coach Kevin Walters at the end of the season, and chairman Bernard Guasch confirmed that Kear is in the frame.
One player who definitely won’t be at Belle Vue next season is long-serving centre Jason Demetriou, who was told by the club last week that his contract, which expires at the end of the season, would not be renewed.
Demetriou is in his seventh season with the Wildcats, and admitted that the news came as a massive shock to him.
"I wont lie, it's been a very tough week in my life,” he told the BBC’s George Riley.
"I don't want to leave Wakefield - I never have - and this has hit me hard in the stomach, but I completely understand and respect Wakefield's decision.”
The 34-year-old confirmed that he had not entered talks with any other clubs, but admitted that he’d welcome an approach from a Super League outfit.
“I'm in the top 25 metre-makers in Super League this year so I clearly put in a lot work both in the forwards and centres.
“I play 80 minutes a week, rarely miss a game and I'll give my next team as much passion as I've given for Wakefield."
Having cemented his place high in the regard of the Wildcats faithful, Demetriou will leave the club with fond memories.
"I hope the Wakefield fans remember me for giving everything.
"I have had some of the best and worst moments of my life here and when my career ends you can guarantee I'll be back on the terrace at Belle Vue with the fans”
"The one regret I do have about this is that after the service I've given to Wakefield I wasn't even told the news by the club,” he continued.
“It would have been nice if the chairman had talked to me about it personally.”

No comments:

Post a Comment