Wednesday 9 June 2010

Cunningham pays tribute to Fairleigh

ST HELENS legend Keiron Cunningham has picked out former team-mate David Fairleigh as the man who’s had the biggest influence on his development as a player.
Fairleigh spent just one season at Knowsley Road back in 2001, but Cunningham says the impact he had on the club during that time will long be remembered.
“I’m fortunate to have played with some fantastic players from overseas during my career but the one that’s had the biggest influence on me is David Fairleigh,” said Cunningham.
The former North Sydney Bears and Newcastle Knights man spent eleven years as an NRL player before finishing his career in the Super League with Saints.
“What Dave Farleigh did for St Helens during one season was amazing. He helped me out so much with my game.
“He helped me to understand what sort of standard of play people expected from me - I’m still good friends with him now.”
Fairleigh returned to Australia following retirment as a player and went on to coach the Knights, before taking up a position as assistant coach at Parramatta Eels. He is the prospective head coach of Central Coast Bears, should their bid for a place in the NRL in 2013 be accepted.
With the Saints yet to name a replacement for Mick Potter, Fairleigh could be surprise candidate for the soon-to-be vacant post.
“I just like somebody who has a similar mindset as me,” said Cunningham on what he looks for in a coach.
“I'm an honest guy who wants to work hard and train hard and whoever fits that bill seems to have done well at the club.
“I've played under seven or eight coaches during my time at St Helens and every one of them has got their flaws and their good points.”
Saints chairman Eamonn McManus is to fly out to Australia to step up the search for the coach that will oversee the team’s move to a new stadium in 2011.
Mal Meninga, another former St Helens, player is thought to be in the frame while current assistant coach Keiron Purtill has also expressed his interest in the position.

No comments:

Post a Comment