Monday 12 July 2010

Watkins backs Rhinos' youth policy

KALLUM Watkins believes that Leeds’ policy of promoting from within will continue to bring success to the club for years to come.
Watkins’ comments come a week after the Rhinos announced the signature of ten players from their scholarship scheme on professional papers.
“To have that pathway from scholarship level all the way through to the first team is extremely important for a club to be successful,” he told ‘League Express’.
“Speaking as a player who himself has come through the Academy, I think it’s the best way to do things.
“All you have to do is prove yourself in training and in matches. You’ll get noticed and people will talk to you.”
The 19-year-old centre was promoted to the first team squad back in 2008 and, although missing much of this season through injury, has earned a reputation as one of Super League’s hottest prospects.
“When I was younger it wasn’t really my dream to play for Leeds but right from when they expressed an interest in me, I knew that it’d be a good place to be,” he explained.
“I was very surprised to be called up to the first team. I thought the season when I did make my debut would just be a learning curve for me but things progressed and I ended up playing quite a lot of games.”
And the mix of youth and experience in the first team this season is something Watkins believes plays a crucial role in the final stages of a young player’s development.
“Playing in the first team is a lot faster and a lot more brutal. There’s a lot more pressure on you too which can be difficult to deal with.
“But having players like Keith (Senior), Kevin (Sinfield) and Jamie (Peacock around is a massive help to people like me.”
Senior’s future in the threequarters has been the subject of much speculation in recent weeks, with a move to the second row mooted by many.
But understudy Watkins is happy to continue his education under the 34-year-old for another season at least.
“He’s still got another year minimum, which means I’ve got another year of learning from him.
“He’s a top player and a top lad. I don’t know whether he’ll be moving to the second row or not, I think he’ll stick around in the centres for a while to be honest, but when I get my chance I’ll be ready to take it.”
Watkins has been out of action since round six, when he suffered severe damage to his anterior cruciate ligament, although his recovery is believed to be ahead of schedule, giving him an outside chance of appearing again this season.
First choice hookers Danny Buderus (knee) and Matt Diskin (groin) missed Friday’s defeat to Hull KR, along with Greg Eastwood (ligament damage) who faces up to a month on the sidelines.
The match did mark the return to action of Rob Burrow, who had missed the previous seven rounds with a torn ligament, but came too soon for Luke Burgess and Ali Lauititi, who should be fit for Friday’s visit of Huddersfield.
Burrow was forced off during the closing stages of his comeback game, but said that he’s “confident” he’ll be fit for Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment